Friday, October 24, 2008

Barker's Run 2008

Today was a happy and hectic day! I was so exhausted as we chiong-ed the GMD assignment and finished it at 1am in my hall.. Studied for Bio test until 2plus then slept.. Woke up at 830am to go print the assignment.. Mass panicking.. Haha.. After which went back to hall to catch some sleep before Bio prac and test.. Somehow I felt today! Maybe coz hand in assignments already.. Then I even went to GESL happy.. that was a First Man!!!

Okay back to being happy, then I left GESL at 6pm for the PESS Barker's Run!
I was signed up to pair with Aloy for the male's doubles! The whole event had a very relaxed and happy mood to it. The one word that epitomised the whole event was : SPORTSMANSHIP. Everyone was sporting and cheered each other on. This was the first time I felt how tightly-knitted the PESS family was. Right down from the lecturers to us students.. We were shouting our lungs out to encourage each other to run our best and congratulating our opponents' as well as teammates. It was as though we reached the utopian state for Physical Education and Sports. Well, we are supposed to be anyway.

For the first time, I actually enjoyed school. I didnt mind staying back late on a friday night. Not eager to go home. Haha. There was food, performances by bands and dance fuzion.. It was just so fun and cool to be there.

This was us at the dinner in the UID.. Me with Caleb and Kumar..


My male doubles' partner: Aloy.. We came in third for the male doubles category! He was super fast and was leading all the way till admin block.. then I could only maintain the lead at second place. The effects of insufficent rest was truly evident as I couldnt push my body further and saw stars when I finished the run..
At block 3, Mr K was encouraging me. He said : "Good one Alex ! Keep up the pace! you're doing well !" I was like.. omigoodness.. This guy here, my prof..He was the ex-national 100m record holder and a super legend in the sporting fraternity.. encouraging ME?! Suddenly I felt an extra turbo booster and chiong-ed like crazy.. Anyway just to digress..I feel that they should put a statue of Mr K. in PESS.. He has been lecturing since CPE days in 1984. True Legend. I'll dedicate a post solely to him another day.

The Women's double of Michelle and Eliza, they got 4th and it was a very good result already considering it was a last-minute arrangement. They helped us score the points..
The mixed team was really GOOD. They came in 2nd. They lost narrowly. Knew they were abit upset. but its okay guys! We've got 3 more years man! And this has been my proudest moment in PESS so far. We won the overall challenge trophy for this Barker's Run 2008! PESS degree year one are finally champions! I was truly overjoyed and blessed to be part of this. I thank God for sustaining my body because I know I cannot win it on my own. In fact, I felt that I could run much faster than I did today if I had more rest.

This is truly a blessing! We being year ones.. winning the overall challenge trophy! Imagine we still got 3 more years to go! But we gotta maintain humility.. Pride comes before a fall. Just continue to work hard and things will fall into place. I really enjoyed myself today and thank God for his sustainence as I dont think I could have lasted with my own strength.

Last but not least it was always cool to end with: PESS.. Success!

No comments: