Wednesday, March 24, 2010

True Leadership is Stewardship

I was watching this video by Rick Warren where he addressed a crowd on the purpose of living.

He's the author of the internationally reowned book "The Purpose Driven Life" and earned tons of money from it. Now, he's giving talks across continents. After watching, it struck me quite abit about what I am doing with my life, re-aligning to my purpose in life again. He touched on a couple of issues that were close to my heart.
They are namely:
1. Purpose
2. Leadership
3. Influence

I was running in the gym earlier and these three words kept ringing in my head and so I thought I should journal it down.


The first point is on leadership.
He said that true leadership is stewardship. You dont own it, you're a steward of it. How apt and it was directed at an angle that I have not personally seen before. It means you do not own but merely a caretaker for God.
As a teacher, I am a steward of my students, steward of my influence on them and a steward of leadership over them. I was thinking about the area of influence and leadership that a teacher has over a student.
Often, we get so caught up in just pedagogy and fulfilling what is required of us that we dont realize that we dont own it. We dont own the influence over them. We are stewards of the influence. We have gotta take it seriously. Many people dont, thats for sure. I have seen my fair share of people who abuse their area of influence. On the other spectrum, people take their area of influence for granted. Bottom line is, it is NOT yours. We are stewards of it. This is a paradigm shift in my mindset.
Leadership is being a steward of the people under your charge. You've gotta be accountable for them and the main purpose is to serve the people under your charge and give your lives to them. When you live your life in such a manner, its evident you're not a run-of-the-mill teacher from the factory in Boon Lay.


The next point is on purpose.
Purpose comes in giving your life away. Not when thinking of adding on things to your life.
Its not wealth, materialism or status. Its about being good and doing good unto others. Thats what Rick Warren says. I dont take 100% of what he says but I get the drift. When you live a selfless life whose purpose is to serve God and serve others. You will find meaning. We are wired that way, well at least I am.
But Im guilty of being NATO. I cant even remember when was the last time I helped somebody in a formal way. Like helping orphans, lesser privileged kids and others. But I hope when I begin my career that I can help my students, especially the less-fortunate ones.
Lately, I have been thinking of doing Masters, taking up Outdoor Diplomas or courses and looking at working overseas, studying overseas. I have to say that I have been too caught up with me, myself and I. This video really gives me a kick-in-the butt.. nothing wrong with thinking what I want to do because thats my interest and God wants you to be.. just.. you. So how can I tie in my dreams with purpose?
I guess the answer lies in my career.


Therein lies the third point:

What's in your hand?
Identity. Income. Influence.
I am an educator. I earn a salary. I have influence over teenagers in schools.

Have I been maximising with what I am given?
Opportunities, talent, freedom, networks, education, background.
These are the several areas that needs to be carefully examined if I have given careful attention to each of this factors. I would like to think that Im living a purposeful life and that Im maximising my opportunities, my talent, education and networks.
Im sure I can do better, with God's help, I hope I can answer some of these questions I have in my life.

2 comments:

royal said...

Fabulous Post!
Study8home is the leading streamlined online e-learning & virtual classroom software provider which adapts to your learning and collaborative model and provide you all the solutions as per your requirement with ease.

Thanks
Advanced E-learning Software

royal said...

Hi,
Soniksecurity offers you a wide selection of Vehicle and Home Security Products. We carry a wide variety of Security and Safety products like Vehicle Tracking System,GPS Navigation Devices,Vehicle Rear View Camera,Waterproof IP Camera,Wireless Ip Camera at very affordable prices.

Thanks
GPS Tracking System