Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good Bye Mr Ang

Yesterday was 23rd July, which marked my one year anniversary at evergreen. Incidentally it was also my first day at NIE starting my orientation to a new phase of life as a student.

My last neighbour at evergreen: Rasilah. Before her, there was aaron and pang. Gosh, i've been there so long to have 3 different people come and go. Okay my table was filled with stuff and even though i cleared lotsa stuff already i still had lots to bring back on the last day.
The nice big-vanguard card prepared by 3 care. Im so touched. Its cover is emblazoned with the same four words as the title of this post.

I never thought i would say this but I really do miss some of the people at evergreen. And on the train to NIE yesterday as we went past admiralty there was a tinge of sadness in me. Not regret, because I know that I have did to the best of my ability during my time at evg. It felt great to be loved by the kids and fellow colleagues and their words, cards and gifts have really encouraged me deeply.

Just thought I would do a time-line thing to reminisce my time at evg.

July:
As i got my posting, I really had no idea where evg was or that it even existed! Turns out that it is in woodlands and many of the colleagues actually reside in yishun as well. Went to me P and VP before i started and found out I only have to teach PE.. Taking over this guy called Sakthi who was very popular in the school. On the 23rd, Me farhanah and Nisha were officially introduced to the school and started teaching. I shadowed alfiyan for 3 days and began.

It wasnt easy as i had to get used to a new place and new teaching methods and subjects.

August:

National Day highlights and we had to be involved with maths telematch and evg idol.

The infamous teacher's day dinner where i got 3rd in best dressed but had to strip for the crowd. Haiz. Got teased till the last day i left evg. But it was a fun dinner and i had fun that day taking all the photos with fellow colleagues.

Sept:

Teachers' Day where i received cards and gifts.

Performed for the kids with the rest of the level with a theme of retro and we did the 60's era dancing to the beat of " That thing you do" by the wonders. Kids loved it and I specially performed on the guitar for 4 care.

Mid -Autumn Festival : The entire sabotage about voting your teacher to sing on stage with 50cents per vote got out of hand as i was voted to sing. I paid my way to get myself outta trouble but at the same time was maligned with causing another innocent person getting the unenviable vote to sing. BUT IT REALLY WASNT ME. Anyway i let that incident pass.. if the person has not forgiven me then i have nothing to say. Really.

But i had fun and brought roslyn around the school and carnival stalls. Not bad. The kids thought she was my gf. Forgive them though. haha.

October: Exams time! Did invigilation both internally and externally. My first -hand experience was quite good.

November: Post exam activities and we asked mastereign to come do a sports carnival for the graduating classes. IT was fun and they enjoyed it. We even had a teachers vs students game! To which of course we won... ;)

Dec : Holidays. Did help out in the Drama Fiesta @RP and we had quite an interesting staff retreat

Jan: Started with 40 periods. Basketball zonal competitions. Organised friendlies with other schools and setting of papers took a toll on me. I understood what "shiong" meant.

Feb : CNY celebrations.. I wore black..haha.. P was asking me in his deep husky voice: Why never wear red?! haha.. Dont care lah. CCA open house was quite a success.

March: OE camp that i was camp commandant. Glad that i fought for going out and made this camp a reality. Enjoyed the time with the PE ppl and others.

April: Swimming programme and relinquishing of time-table to alfiyan.

May: MYE and NAPFA tests. Helped Audrey in Netball

June: Staff Retreat. Rugby and Netball coaching competitions. MESRC Adventure Challenge.

July: NE Show and lots of learning journeys. Netball Zonal and Nationals Competitions.

So yup there's the time-line of my one year there. ONE SOLID YEAR. never have i been in a school teaching for such a long time!

And yeah there were nonsensical and ridiulous moments but I guess God really showed me how strong he really is as he enabled me to survive there and gained favour with colleagues and students. Thank God this one year as I believe it was not wasted coz precious lessons have been learnt and taught.

To my colleagues and students, you'll be in my thoughts! I intend to go back and visit whenever time permits!

As for now.. I've go pack up as my PESS camp will begin in like 5 hours time..

More updates after the camp..

No comments: